Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Chapter 10

Last chapter was the most depressing, by far, in the entire book. This chapter was just the most appalling, as well as disgusting, in the entire book. I am just disgusted, it's really the only way I can describe how I can feel right now.
Like I figured they would, the pigs took a turn for the worst. Walking on TWO LEGS, they have completed the transition from animal to human. They have completely adopted human tendencies and techniques, and are openly admitting it to other humans! I guess I can't say that I wasn't expecting this to happen, but to this degree is just terrible. They wear clothes, live in the house, get drunk, and walk on two legs. This isn't communism anymore; this is a full blown dictatorship, run by Napoleon. But not only have the animals completed the transition from animal to human, but they have expanded on things and have done what the humans never could, such as building the windmill for more production, trading and associating with other farms, and working the animals to death. I think that this is because the pigs were able to earn their trust in a way that Jones was never able to do, because he was human.
Though I had tremendous difficulty putting this book down to write each entry, I still feel a lot of hatred towards it. The writing is wonderful and the plot is well paced, I just hate the story and how it turns out. I am so used to at least one good thing happening, to justice making a presence somewhere in the story in some small way, but that just doesn't happen in this story, and I think that even though it is a very honest, well-written ending, it is just sickening.

1 comment:

  1. I was as disgusted as you were, Vicki. This novel drove me insane when I finished it, but at the same time I thought it was a really good book and I absolutely loved it. I think George Orwell did this to convey his strong feelings about the Soviet Union to us, the readers, so that we will in turn feel the same way. If I read this back when it was recently published, I probably would have had the same negative view Orwell did when he wrote it. And yes, this ending was very well written, even though it was very sad and depressing. It had a lot of good lines in it that really make the reader think! Like I have said before, good job on your posts, Vicki!

    ReplyDelete