Saturday, September 25, 2010

Chapter 5 (by Kyle)

This chapter left me in shock and with the desire to not put the book down. We see the Animal Farm go from having an aristocracy-like society with two main rulers to having an autocracy-like society with one main ruler due to the fact that Napoleon overthrows Snowball with his army of dogs. It is now clear that Napoleon will be the the antagonist in the remainder of this story once we think about the message Orwell is trying to send across to the reader about his opinion of the Soviet Union's government during the period this book was written. The fact that Napoleon was the one who would turn end up turning bad may have been surprising, but it does take us back to an example of possible foreshadowing that Vicki mentioned in one of her earlier posts. She did take notice to the fact that Napoleon was secretly raising the puppies he had taken away from the pregnant dogs and doing it without Snowball's knowledge of it. She did take this into account and was therefore able to predict what was going to happen later on, and I give her kudos for that. I think Napoleon is very much like a Lenin of some sort since he kind of led the Russian Revolution. Napoleon did end up using Snowball's windmill idea that they supposedly "disagreed on" and which led to Napoleon to get rid of Snowball, which made me realize how evil he truly is. I wonder if we will ever see Snowball again in the book even though he ran away. Could he act as a protagonist? If not him, then who will be the protagonist? Will there even have to be a protagonist? I always thought that if a story had an antagonist (like Napoleon), they would have to have a protagonist as well.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the kudos Kyle, and I totally agree with the shock factor of this chapter! I could not believe that it actually happened. And I don't know if you can really have an antagonist without a protagonist, that's a good question. My first sense would be to say no, but maybe that's not true. I think that because this is in the third person omniscient, there isn't really a protagonist or antagonist, but that could just be specific to this story, I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete