Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Chapter 9

This was probably the most depressing chapter in the book by far. When I read what happened to Boxer, a small part of me died inside because I could see something like this happening. I have injected myself into this story so much that I was so upset when this happened. It reminds me of The Giver, of how when the elderly are close to the end of their lives, they are seemingly sent out of society to someplace, and I if I can remember correctly, are actually given some sort of injection that kills them. I feel like this is what was happening to Boxer, his being tossed out of the farm now that he could no longer work. The pigs probably thought that because he could do no work, they would be wasting food feeding him, but that they definitely aren't wasting food when they take it for themselves.
That the pigs did this doesn't really surprise me, because we have read and seen what they are capable of doing, for instance the near starvation they have forced the other animals too, and the expulsion of Snowball. They only way I can really describe this as is MESSED UP. It might not be the most scholarly term, but it is what I feel to be truly honest. I think the pigs have reached the point of no return, and that there will be no upside after the only light that had remained on the farm has now been extinguished.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you compared the novel to The Giver. It was a very true, yet very unique comparison that I probably never would have come up with, so nice job! I remember reading that book in middle school, it was definitely one of the strangest books I've ever read. I also agree with you when you talk about how messed up this book is! It's hard to believe how Napoleon and his men do what they do and get away with it because the animals are mostly oblivious. Oh, and I like your last sentence because it was a good metaphorical statement. Nice job, Vicki!

    ReplyDelete