Thursday, September 30, 2010

Post Reading (part 3)

This being my last post, I really just want to touch on the quote that I loved in the book, the quote that really stuck with me and made me think.
Of course, it is the quote that was discussed in the preface, which was the commandment that was changed from "all animals are equal" to "all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others". I have to be honest, I had some trouble really making sense out of this quote at first. So, believe it or not, I went on SparkNotes for explanation. I know, punch me in the face. But I just had to know. And handy dandy SparkNotes indeed confirmed my suspicions about this quote. I knew that when it was changed, it was somehow talking about certain animals being superior to others. And then I read an explanation, which reinforced that idea. This quote is basically saying that the pigs considered themselves 'more equal' or, essentially, better than other animals, considering themselves the 'some'. This commandment was pretty much followed out, as the pigs did dominate the farm and use the animals for their own benefit. But I also like how the quote kind of embodied the whole book, which was the pigs' slow transformation from comrade to ruler, and how that is really what changed the farm.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. This was not only my favorite quote in the novel, but one of my favorites in literature as a whole. It's a very complex and deep statement that can cause the reader to think and can be debated. I like your philosophical explanation for this quote. Very nice! This quote is one of those that can be applied to a lot of elements in our own society which is another reason I like it so much. Well, Vicki, I've really loved reading/responding to your posts, and I appreciate your hard work. I hope we can do a project like this again soon!

    ReplyDelete